Monday, July 21, 2014

Monday Made It - Alphabet, curtains, organization, and Frog Street!


Hey y'all! It's Monday again so that means....it's time to link up for Monday Made it. Unfortunately I didn't get much done this week. My wonderful mom came to visit for a few days and then I was off to San Antonio for the Frog Street Splash conference. I still hope you enjoy it! :)


I did it. I finally made "curtains." These will not hang as curtains, though. I have cabinets at the back of my classroom that just needed something to spruce it up a little. 


I think these will do the trick! Once I get them up in my room I will share a picture on here and Instagram. If you don't follow me yet and want to, you can do so HERE. :)

Last week I showed you how I organized my construction paper. This week I'm showing you how I organized my long sheets of construction paper...


That's it! I grouped the colors and put them in a clear bucket. This bucket, for example, will hold blue, green, and purple paper. It's going to help a lot!


I saw this next made it at the conference last week. I knew that I had to make it!


In Frog Street there is a "friend" for each letter of the alphabet. Apple Annie (picture) is the "friend" for  the letter a. There is a song about each letter and also a book. So by the end of the year the students are calling each picture by their name.
How this strip works:
Where the letter is capital the student will say the letter.
Where the letter is lowercase the student will say the letter sound.
Where the picture is the student will say the name. For example in the above picture they will say "Apple Annie, Apple Annie."



 Last week I got to attend Frog Street Splash in San Antonio. What an amazing experience! I got to hear so many great educators present and received so many new ideas. I also won some door prizes! Here were a few of my favorite moments from the conference...

Vanessa Levin from Pre-K Pages. I loved getting to meet her and hear her present. She has great ideas and they have all been so helpful in my room. If you've never checked out her website you should. You can find it HERE.


Shawn Brown!! How this picture came about is pretty funny. We were taking a break during one of our sessions and I saw him walking around. I itold 2 of the girls "That's Shawn Brown!" Then we weren't so sure because he looked so different without the above hat on. Also no one was talking to him or anything. We googled him and looked at about 10 pictures of him. When we finally decided it was him I had to meet him. He was so nice and just beyond hilarious! I love his music and so do the kids! I was lucky enough to attend one of his sessions and loved it! I learned about some of his new music and I can't wait to use it! If you've never heard his music go check it out HERE.


We had such a great time at the conference and in San Antonio! I'm so glad I got to know these girls better and learn new things.

I hope y'all enjoyed all the fun from the week! Don't forget to head over and see what everyone else has been up to. Have a great week everyone! :)

Live, love, learn
Rachel :)

2 comments:

  1. OK I looove your "curtains" that you made! I have those pesky little cabinets all along my back wall and those would be perfect! Also, I am super jealous you got to meet Vanessa Levin! I am sure you learned LOTS of great stuff at the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the curtains !!! I am wanting to do some of those for my classroom. Then when I read that you were going to cover shelves, I liked that idea too. I may need a LOT of ribbon! HA!
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete